The lovely home that was to become the Little River Inn began as a family home built in the 1850s by Silas Coombs, a lumberman from Maine. In 1864 Silas returned to Maine to marry Margaret Boyd, and by 1870 he had transformed the home into the grand Victorian you see in the photo. Silas and Margaret raised four children in the thriving little lumber community. Silas Jr.'s wife, Margaret Bullard Hurst, gave birth to twin girls, Cora and Margaret, on June 2, 1906. The twins grew up in Little River, and graduated from Mendocino High School and San Francisco State Teachers College.
Ole Hervilla grew up in a boardinghouse run by his Finnish/Swedish immigrant family in Bingham Canyon, Utah. After graduating from Utah State, he joined his brother in Fort Bragg, where a large Finnish community already lived, and he was soon running the Windsor Hotel, with a restaurant and bar. Then he met and married Cora Coombs, and in 1939 they purchased the Little River home from her parents and on May 27, 1939, opened the Little River Inn.
The Little River Inn quickly won the hearts of locals and visitors alike, with Cora's delicious home-cooked meals, Ole's congenial bar, and comfortable lodging. Their old-fashioned family hospitality continues today, as old-time guests and new friends relax in this spectacular oceanview setting. Ole and Cora's children, Danny Hervilla and Susan McKinney, and their families (now beginning the sixth generation!) work along with a dedicated staff to provide a warm welcome to all.